Sunday, May 12, 2013

Do you like Pina Coladas?

Jasmine Goodwin
Reporting from Havana


HAVANA, Cuba - On our way to visit the beach in Veradero, our tour guide made a special stop for us at an outdoor shop that only sells on thing - pina coladas. I was under the assumption that I did not like pina coladas because one of the major ingredients is coconut, which is not a food I am a fan of in the slightest.


One of my favorite fruits is pineapple. It's sweet, a little sour, and just flat out yummy. So when I saw that I could enjoy a pina colada straight from a pineapple, I knew it was a sign that I had to try one.


The high risk came out with high reward. The slight taste of pineapple with the creamy pina colada provided a collision of flavors in my mouth that is indescribable. It led me to enjoying many more pina coladas "sin alcohol" (meaning without alcohol in Spanish), as I found they were even tastier without all the rum. 


The establishment itself was unique as it was designed to resemble a hut, surrounded by flags from around the world (although the American flag was noticeably absent.)



Before we got back on the bus, we were able to check out a vintage car, and I even found a Cuban flag to snap a picture with as a momento!




Why it changed the way I eat:

A Pina Colada served in a simple glass cup will never be sufficient enough ever again and sometimes that little hut off the beaten path will offer a sweet surprise by knowing the craft of how to whip up a cup of deliciousness. 





No comments:

Post a Comment